ENGLISH VERSION: INTEGRATED CARE PATHWAYS FOR PREDICTIVE MEDICINE ACROSS THE LIFE CYCLE (ARIA – 2016 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY)
The Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) initiative commenced during a World Health Organization (WHO) workshop in 1999. The initial goals were (i) to propose a new allergic rhinitis classification, (ii) to promote the concept of multi-morbidity in asthma and rhinitis and (iii) to develop guidelines with all stakeholders for global use in all countries and populations. ARIA ‒ disseminated and implemented in over 70 countries globally ‒ is now focusing on the implementation of emerging technologies for individualized and predictive medicine. MASK (MACVIA (Contre les MAladies Chroniques pour un VIeillissement Actif)-ARIA Sentinel NetworK) uses mobile technology to develop care pathways in order to enable the management of rhinitis and asthma by a multi-disciplinary group or by patients themselves. An App (Android and iOS) is available in 20 countries and 15 languages. It uses a visual analogue scale to assess symptom control and work productivity as well as a clinical decision support system. It is associated with an inter-operable tablet for physicians and other health care professionals. The scaling up strategy uses the recommendations of the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing. The aim of the novel ARIA approach is to provide an active and healthy life to rhinitis sufferers, whatever their age, sex or socio-economic status, in order to reduce health and social inequalities incurred by the disease.
2. Bousquet J, Van Cauwenberge P, Khaltaev N. Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001; 108(5 Suppl):S147-334.
3. Bousquet J, Khaltaev N, Cruz AA, Denburg J, Fokkens WJ, Togias A, et al. Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) 2008 update (in collaboration with the World Health Organization, GA(2)LEN and AllerGen). Allergy. 2008; 63 Suppl 86:8-160.
4. Brozek JL, Bousquet J, Baena-Cagnani CE, Bonini S, Canonica GW, Casale TB, et al. Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) guidelines: 2010 revision. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010; 126(3):466-76.
5. Padjas A, Kehar R, Aleem S, Mejza F, Bousquet J, Schunemann HJ, et al. Methodological rigor and reporting of clinical practice guidelines in patients with allergic rhinitis: QuGAR study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014; 133(3):777-83 e4.
6. Bousquet J, Schunemann HJ, Samolinski B, Demoly P, Baena-Cagnani CE, Bachert C, et al. Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA): achievements in 10 years and future needs. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2012; 130(5):1049-62.
7. Bousquet J, Addis A, Adcock I, Agache I, Agusti A, Alonso A, et al. Integrated care pathways for airway diseases (AIRWAYS-ICPs). Eur Respir J. 2014;44(2):304-23.
8. Bousquet J, Hellings PW, Agache I, Bedbrook A, Bachert C, Bergmann KC, et al. ARIA 2016: Care pathways implementing emerging technologies for predictive medicine in rhinitis and asthma across the life cycle. Clin Transl Allergy. 2016;6:47.
9. Bousquet J, Michel J, Standberg T, Crooks G, Iakovidis I, Gomez M. The European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing:
the European Geriatric Medicine introduces the EIP on AHA Column. Eur Geriatr Med. 2014;5(6):361-2.
10. Bousquet J, Anto JM, Berkouk K, Gergen P, Antunes JP, Auge P, et al. Developmental determinants in non-communicable chronic diseases and ageing. Thorax. 2015;70(6):595-7.
11. Bousquet J, Barbara C, Bateman E, Bel E, Bewick M, Chavannes NH, et al. AIRWAYS-ICPs (European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing) from concept to implementation. Eur Respir J. 2016;47(4):1028-33.
12. Bousquet J, Farrell J, Crooks G, Hellings P, Bel EH, Bewick M, et al. Scaling up strategies of the chronic respiratory disease programme of the European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (Action Plan B3: Area 5). Clin Transl Allergy. 2016;6:29.
13. Bousquet J, Bewick M, Cano A, Eklund P, Fico G, Goswami N, et al. Building Bridges for Innovation in Ageing: Synergies between Action Groups of the EIP on AHA. J Nutr Health Aging. 2017;21(1):92-104.
14. Kuehl BL, Abdulnour S, O'Dell M, Kyle TK. Understanding the role of the healthcare professional in patient self-management of allergic rhinitis. SAGE Open Med. 2015; 3:2050312115595822.
15. ARIA in the pharmacy: management of allergic rhinitis symptoms in the pharmacy. Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma. Allergy. 2004;59(4):373-87.
16. Canonica GW, Triggiani M, Senna G. 360 degree perspective on allergic rhinitis management in Italy: a survey of GPs, pharmacists and patients. Clin Mol Allergy. 2015; 13:25.
17. Meltzer EO, Farrar JR, Sennett C. Findings from an Online Survey Assessing the Burden and Management of Seasonal Allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis in US Patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016.
18. Bousquet J, Annesi-Maesano I, Carat F, Leger D, Rugina M, Pribil C, et al. Characteristics of intermittent and persistent allergic rhinitis: DREAMS study group. Clin Exp Allergy. 2005; 35(6):728-32.
19. Bousquet PJ, Devillier P, Tadmouri A, Mesbah K, Demoly P, Bousquet J. Clinical Relevance of Cluster Analysis in Phenotyping Allergic Rhinitis in a Real-Life Study. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2015; 166(3):231-40.
20. del Cuvillo A, Montoro J, Bartra J, Valero A, Ferrer M, Jauregui I, et al. Validation of ARIA duration and severity classifications in Spanish allergic rhinitis patients ‒ The ADRIAL cohort study. Rhinology. 2010; 48(2):201-5.
21. Calderon MA, Demoly P, Casale T, Akdis CA, Bachert C, Bewick M, et al. Allergy immunotherapy across the life cycle to promote active and healthy ageing: from research to policies: An AIRWAYS Integrated Care Pathways (ICPs) programme item (Action Plan B3 of the European Innovation Partnership on active and healthy ageing) and the Global Alliance against Chronic Respiratory Diseases (GARD), a World Health Organization GARD research demonstration project. Clin Transl Allergy. 2016; 6:41.
22. Cruz AA, Popov T, Pawankar R, Annesi-Maesano I, Fokkens W, Kemp J, et al. Common characteristics of upper and lower airways in rhinitis and asthma: ARIA update, in collaboration with GA(2)LEN. Allergy. 2007; 62 Suppl 84:1-41.
23. Bousquet PJ, Devillier P, Tadmouri A, Mesbah K, Demoly P, Bousquet J. Clinical relevance of cluster analysis in phenotyping allergic rhinitis in a real-life study. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2015;166(3):231-40.
24. Meltzer EO, Wallace D, Dykewicz M, Shneyer L. Minimal Clinically Important Difference (MCID) in Allergic Rhinitis: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality or Anchor-Based Thresholds? J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016;4(4):682-8 e6.
25. Bousquet J, Schunemann HJ, Fonseca J, Samolinski B, Bachert C, Canonica GW, et al. MACVIA-ARIA Sentinel NetworK for allergic rhinitis (MASK-rhinitis): the new generation guideline implementation. Allergy. 2015;70(11):1372-92.
26. Bourret R, Bousquet J, J M, T C, Bedbrook A, P D, et al. MASK rhinitis, a single tool for integrated care pathways in allergic rhinitis. World Hosp Health Serv. 2015;51(3):36-9.
27. Bousquet J, Schunemann HJ, Hellings PW, Arnavielhe S, Bachert C, Bedbrook A, et al. MACVIA clinical decision algorithm in adolescents and adults with allergic rhinitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;138(2):367-74 e2.
28. Bousquet J, Caimmi D, Bedbrook A, M Bewick, Hellings P, Devillier P, et al. Pilot study of mobile phone technology in allergic rhinitis in European countries. The MASK-rhinitis study Allergy. 2017:in press.
29. Konig HH, Bernert S, Angermeyer MC, Matschinger H, Martinez M, Vilagut G, et al. Comparison of population health status in six european countries: results of a representative survey using the EQ-5D questionnaire. Med Care. 2009;47(2):255-61.
30. Blanc PD, Trupin L, Eisner M, Earnest G, Katz PP, Israel L, et al. The work impact of asthma and rhinitis: findings from a population-based survey. J Clin Epidemiol. 2001;54(6):610-8.
31. Bousquet J, Bachert C, Canonica GW, Casale TB, Cruz AA, Lockey RJ, et al. Unmet needs in severe chronic upper airway disease (SCUAD). J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;124(3):428-33.
32. Bousquet J, Anto J, Sunyer J, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Vrijheid M, Keil T, et al. Pooling birth cohorts in allergy and asthma: European Union-funded initiatives ‒ a MeDALL, CHICOS, ENRIECO, and GA(2)LEN joint paper. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2013;161(1):1-10.
33. Westman M, Lupinek C, Bousquet J, Andersson N, Pahr S, Baar A, et al. Early childhood IgE reactivity to pathogenesis-related class 10 proteins predicts allergic rhinitis in adolescence. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015;135(5):1199-206 e1-11.
34. Bousquet J, Anto JM, Akdis M, Auffray C, Keil T, Momas I, et al. Paving the way of systems biology and precision medicine in allergic diseases: The MeDALL success story. Allergy. 2016.
35. Burte E, Bousquet J, Varraso R, Gormand F, Just J, Matran R, et al. Characterization of Rhinitis According to the Asthma Status in Adults Using an Unsupervised Approach in the EGEA Study. PLoS One. 2015;10(8):e0136191.
36. Siroux V, Lupinek C, Resch Y, Curin M, Just J, Keil T, et al. Specific IgE and IgG measured by the MeDALL allergen-chip depend on allergen and route of exposure: The EGEA study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016.
37. Just J, Elegbede CF, Deschildre A, Bousquet J, Moneret-Vautrin DA, Crepet A, et al. Three peanut allergic/sensitized phenotypes with gender difference. Clin Exp Allergy. 2016.
38. Zoratti EM, Krouse RZ, Babineau DC, Pongracic JA, O'Connor GT, Wood RA, et al. Asthma phenotypes in inner-city children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016;138(4):1016-29.
39. Bresciani M, Paradis L, Des Roches A, Vernhet H, Vachier I, Godard P, et al. Rhinosinusitis in severe asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2001;107(1):73-80.
40. ten Brinke A, Grootendorst DC, Schmidt JT, De Bruine FT, van Buchem MA, Sterk PJ, et al. Chronic sinusitis in severe asthma is related to sputum eosinophilia. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;109(4):621-6.